Best Golf Shafts Reviewed & Rated for Quality and Comfort
If you are an individual looking for the right golf shafts, you have come to the right place. At Golfoid, we pride ourselves on finding the best and most versatile golf products in the industry. With that in mind, we are eager to share the top ten golf shafts for you. These golf shafts are designed with top of the line materials to ensure the perfect swing while also giving individuals the ability to master their swing and perfect their style.
Now, what makes the perfect golf shaft? Is it the brand? Is it the style? These questions and more we are seeking to answer with all of the quality products we are sharing below. With that in mind, let’s begin the Top Ten Best Golf Shafts with product number one. We can ensure that you will find your ideal golf shaft below!
10 Best Golf Shafts
1. Pro Taylor Fit NANO
From this brand, individuals can expect quality options. With that in mind, this golf shaft comes in a variety of different options ranging from ladies to senior and even stiff. This gives an individual the ability to choose and work with the best golf shaft and choose the most comfortable one.
When it comes to a quality golf shaft, it needs to be designed with some of the best materials in mind to positively affect the way an individual plays golf. With that said, this golf shaft is made with an outstanding kick through design that maximizes impact to ensure the best ball speed.
Cost And Value
When we take cost and value into consideration, it is expected that golf shafts or not the most expensive item in the golf industry. Therefore, individuals should expect this golf shaft to be standards price. However, for the cost individuals are also getting a product from one of the best brands in the industry today.
- Well designed golf shaft for individuals.
- Very durable and able to withstand the test of time.
- Maximum performance and ball speed because of the design
- More consistent than any other steel shaft.
- Lightweight so there is no drag when hitting the golf ball.
- Individuals will appreciate the quality of the brand.
- Not much information online.
2. True Temper DG
When it comes to a shaft, it is only one aspect of a properly designed golf club or wedge. With that said, it needs to be designed of the best quality lightweight material to ensure maximum comfort. This one, in particular, is designed from a lightweight steel that only weighs about 131 grams in total.
Another important aspect of a shaft is the design. Being a wedge shaft, this one, in particular, is tapered so most of the flexibility will be in the club head area. With that in kind, individuals can expect that it will perform effortlessly and be able to withstand the test of time.
Cost And Value
As we take cost and value into consideration for this particular shaft, we can say that it is considered one of the best because of the design and material. In fact, the club itself is a bit costlier than most brands on this list due to the quality design. Other than that, being a wedge shaft does bring the price up a bit.
- The increased rotations mean you can add better control to the golf ball.
- Can be installed to all of the wedge golf clubs.
- Has a tapered design so the flexibility is better.
- The steel shaft is lightweight but firm.
- Quality brand that individuals trust.
- This particular club can only be used with wedge golf clubs.
3. Aldila RP Beta 60
When it comes to different aspects of a golf shaft, the midpoint area is one of the most important to ensure maximum flexibility and impact when an individual hits the ball. With that said, this one, in particular, has a midpoint spot to allow an individual more and better control.
This shaft, in particular, is made from wood. However, the exterior material is a graphite material that ensures maximum comfort and strength. With that in mind, the graphite shaft alone weighs about 68 grams for a better lightweight feel.
Cost And Value
As we take cost and value into consideration for this particular shaft, we can say that it is one of the best-designed shafts in the industry due to the shaft material. For the price, we can say individuals will not only appreciate the lightweight durable material, they will also appreciate the design and cool look.
- Has technology that improves an individual’s power and velocity.
- This particular shaft is PGA tour tested and approved.
- This graphite shaft only weights about 68 grams, making it ideal for lightweight use.
- Has a midpoint flex design for better control over certain shots.
- Quality design and material craftsmanship.
- Innovative technology to enhance the way an individual hit the golf ball.
- Only comes in one color and design.
- The wood interior is made of a composite wood which can break down if it is not taken care of.
4. Rifle Project X 5.0
When it comes to finding quality shafts, at times it is difficult to find the ideal set. Well, this brand offers a set of eight, so individuals can use it with irons and wedges. With that said, this is a quality deal that cannot be missed due to the quality of the design and the expert craftsmanship.
The Shaft Design
This particular set of shafts comes uncut, meaning an individual can customize the shaft to their particular specification. With a quality design such as this, individuals will appreciate the mid to low flex point design that allows for better quality control when hitting the ball.
Cost And Value
As we talk about cost and value for this shaft, we can say that it is perfectly designed for amateurs that want to customize their shaft to improve their hit. We can say that for the set, it is well worth the price, which can normally cost a lot more.
- Quality design thanks to a great design.
- Mid to low flex point which allows for better control.
- Gets shots closer to the green due to the design and material.
- Set of eight so an individual can connect to a wedge or iron.
- Customize it to your specific desires.
- Lower trajectory so you cannot pin the ball into a certain spt.
- This shaft is not compatible with fairway wood.
5. Project X Black
As one of the most lightweight shafts on this list, we can see why this shaft is one of the best-designed shafts in the industry thanks to the graphite material design that weighs only 58 grams. With that, individuals can expect a quality design that goes from .595 on the end of the shaft to .350 along the grip. This design is known as a tapered design.
One of the most important aspects of this particular shaft is that it comes in 46”, meaning an individual can adjust and cut the shaft to fit their ideal size. This gives users an added level of flexibility.
Cost And Value
As we take cost and value into consideration, we can say that this particular shaft is one of the best in the industry due to the uncut graphite material. With that in mind, the cost of the shaft can be a bit pricey but it is because of the particular brand and build quality. In any case, it is one of the best-designed shafts in the industry.
- Made of a quality graphite material that weighs only 58 grams.
- The shaft is uncut and can be customized.
- Tapered shaft so individuals have more control of their swing.
- Quality trusted brand with years of experience.
- Comes only in the Stiff Flex Model.
- It is only available in one color.
6. Project X Blue
Graphite is known as one of the most lightweight materials in the industry. Therefore, individuals can expect that this is going to be an easy to use and easy cut to a shaft. The graphite ensures a better more lightweight feel which is very comfortable.
When it comes to this quality shaft, the tip is designed to function and work with different brands of club heads. This allows individuals more variety because they do not have to particular stay tied into one brand of clubs. With that said, the design allows for better use and better functionality.
Cost And Value
When we talk about cost and value for this particular club, we can say that it is one of the best when it comes to quality brands. With that said, it is pricey considering the brand, the design, and the material quality. However, individuals will thoroughly appreciate the build quality and craftsmanship of this club.
- Has an RBX tip so individuals can get that sweet spot when hitting the ball.
- Made out of lightweight graphite which is very comfortable to use.
- The tip works on different brands of clubs.
- Individuals will love the color design and style.
- Trusted brand with years of experience.
- It is stiffer than others so it is best suited for individuals with a lot of upper body strength.
7. Mitsubishi Fubuki
This particular shaft is very stable and allows for a smooth and energy efficient swing. With that, this shaft performances with added stability and comfort for a more accelerated powerful swing. With that said, individuals will appreciate the quality durability of this particular shaft design.
The Material Design
When it comes to this brand, they are known to develop high-quality shafts that are made from some of the best materials in the industry. For instance, this one is made from very durable and lightweight graphite, which is designed for better performance quality. With that said, the head can fit a variety of clubs, which gives users better variety.
Cost And Value
As we take cost and value into consideration for this particular club, we can say that it is expertly designed to fit a variety of clubs and comes in an uncut design so individuals can adjust it themselves. With that in mind, the price is very affordable and coming from such a quality brand, individuals can expect that this will be able to withstand the test of time.
- Made out of graphite material which is easy to hold and lightweight.
- Very comfortable design that is easily adjustable.
- Comes uncut so individuals have free reign over the length.
- Can fit most club heads.
- Had a mid-point flex spot for a better-quality hit.
- Only for one particular driver.
- Has extra stuff flexibility.
8. AccuFlex Assassin II
This particular shaft is one of the best in the industry because it comes uncut for individuals that want to specify the length themselves. With that in mind, individuals will appreciate the material design which is also very lightweight and is easy to use.
Unlike many of the shafts that we have shared on this list, this particular shaft comes in a variety of models, meaning individuals can pick their ideal stiffness or durability. The varieties include regular, senior, stuff, 2x, and x, which means individuals can pick one of each for their ideal day on the course.
Cost And Value
As we take cost and value into consideration for this particular golf shaft, we can say individuals will appreciate the level of quality of this shaft alongside the well-priced design. Known as one of the top used during the World PGA Tours, individuals can expect that this is one of the best shafts in the industry. With that said, it can get expensive to get all different qualities, but it is worth it.
- Limited edition golf shaft known as one of the best during the PGA Tour
- This shaft can be considered one of the heaviest shafts.
- Available in multiple models depending on the flexibility and individual desires.
- Nice tapered size for a greater and better feel.
- Long uncut length allows for a better cut shaft.
- Made out of lightweight graphite.
- Only comes in one color.
- The high bend point means that an individual does have less control.
9. Grafalloy ProLaunch 65
When it comes to quality design, individuals can expect that this is one of the best-designed shafts due to the lightweight design. In fact, the wood composite material is similar to graphite, however, it does give users a more authentic golf shaft experience. Weighing at 67 grams, individuals will appreciate the quality of this golf shaft.
Using The Shaft
When it comes to a quality wood shaft, individuals can expect a very cool lightweight experience that allows for a better and more accurate shot. With that in mind, this particular wood composite allows individuals to have a better swing and higher velocity. With a higher arc for each shot, individuals can expect to perfect their swing with this shaft.
Cost And Value
As we take cost and value into consideration, we can say that this is one of the best shafts for individuals that want an easy to use shaft. With that in mind, the shaft allows for a better velocity swing and durability. With that, the price for this shaft is considered a bit less than other shafts.
- This shaft type is made of a quality wood material.
- This shaft weighs only about 67.
- Provides a better arc due to the shot quality.
- The swing is a better velocity swing.
- Comes in only one color.
- Is available only for driver.
10. AccuFlex Vizion
With so many different flex choices to choose from, why not get them all? That is our motto when it comes to this quality shaft. This shaft brand, in particular, comes with L,A,R,S,X, and 2X, as the different flexes available. With that said, individuals can expect this shaft to fit different drives and different quality clubs.
When it comes to this quality shaft, individuals can expect to gain twenty to thirty yards in the distance when they swing. With that, it makes it the perfect lightweight wood composite shaft for individuals that want to easily perfect their swing and gain some velocity and momentum.
Cost And Value
When it comes to cost and value, we can say that this is one of the best shafts available in the industry for the price and the quality. Individuals can expect this shaft to cost around the same as many other shafts and for the value, we easily consider it one of the best shafts that an individual can purchase today.
- Comes in each of the five flexibility models.
- Only weighs about 55 grams.
- Comes in an uncut 46” length so individuals can easily cut to their desired specifications.
- Made out of a wood composite material.
- Trusted brand with quality in mind.
- Only comes in one color choice.
- Wood composite can break if not taken care of properly.
Now that you have taken into consideration all of these golf shafts, have you found the right one for you? Whether you want a precut golf shaft or a specialty golf shaft designed and created by Callaway, we can ensure that all of these are designed and mastered with quality materials in mind. With that said, we believe that these are the best golf shafts that an individual can purchase today. However, if you want to conduct your own research, we are eager to share the criteria that we take into consideration when evaluating each golf shaft.
This criterion serves as our guideline when searching for some of the best golf products. We do the research for you, so you don’t have to! We understand, as golfers ourselves, that the first thing an individual wants to do is be on the course, not conduct research. Therefore, we have summarized what is most important when searching for a golf shaft so individuals such as yourself, can do it easily. Let’s move onto the criteria portion of our article!
Criteria Used to Evaluate Golf Shafts
Now that we have talked about the top ten best golf shafts that an individual can purchase today. We are eager to share the criteria that have summarized and helped us develop this top ten list. Part of the reason why we share the criteria is for individuals to have some sort of guideline to be able and find their own products. With that in mind, it also helps us summarize and find the good from the bad. As we started, we took into consideration the fact that a golf shaft is the connection point between the end of the club and the grip. Therefore, it has to be designed from masterful materials to be able to perform properly. Without further wait, we are eager to share with our readers the criteria to evaluate the best golf shafts. Up first, is the material design!
The Material Design
As the first criteria to take into consideration, we wanted to ensure that the material quality of the golf shaft was the best. With that said, we ended up reading a lot about different materials and what individuals can expect from golf shafts. In this process, we learned that the primary materials are a fiberglass material, a wood composite material, and the strongest and heaviest of all, steel.
With that in mind, we wanted to share different shafts that were designed and made from different materials, so we can ensure a wide variety. For wood, we discovered it can be the most fragile of all the materials because it can snap or ware and tare easily. Wood is known as one of the best for the novice golfers. However, fiberglass and steel are the best for individuals that happen to be seasoned golfers that want some of the best swings when it comes to golf. Now, as we learned this we realized that there is another aspect that affects the swing, which we made the next criterion.
When it comes the weight of the shaft, it can heavily impact the performance of an individual. Different aspects of that are affected by the weight include the swing, the hit, the putt, and even the way an individual holds and swings the club. With that in mind, the weight heavily affects the swing and individuals should be aware of the different weight measurements of different clubs. Therefore we wanted to share variety because wood has a different swing and weight than steel or fiberglass.
As another important aspect to take into consideration, we wanted to share different styles of shafts. Now, a shaft pretty much comes in the same style, it’s essentially a pole that connects to form the club. However, many brands offer different color choices and graphics when it comes to a golf shaft. Therefore, this is one of the main criteria that we took into consideration to ensure that individuals would find their ideal style.
Uncut or Precut
Now, as another vital criterion to take into consideration, we wanted to share both precut and uncut shafts. With this in mind, we discovered that many brands will offer uncut shafts that individuals can cut to their exact measurement depending on their height and how long they want the shaft to be. With that in mind, brands also offer precut options, but it is important to read the fine print and the description. The reason is that the precut will determine what kind of club the shaft is intended for. Some brands will offer wedge shafts, putter shafts, and traditional club shafts.
Cost And Value
It goes without fail that we share the cost and value of a particular product. With that said, cost and value play a vital role in all of our reviews because we want to ensure the best quality products for the price. With that said, we have shared a wide variety of shafts that come as sets or singular. What we have discovered is that many brands will determine the cost of the shaft depending on the material. A wood shaft is considered more lightweight and less costly than a fiberglass or steel shaft. Another aspect that affects the cost of a shaft is the brand name and style of the shaft. Which brings us to another criterion we want to share.
What is it for?
When it comes to picking out and choosing the best golf shafts, we wanted to ensure we shared a wide variety of shafts. Some shafts are universal and can be used on both wedges and clubs. While other shafts are primarily designed for either/or. Therefore, we focused on variety alongside quality to make sure that individuals were getting different styles to choose from depending on their ideal choice.
One or More
As another important criterion to take into consideration, this question only can be answered by you. Are you looking for one shaft or more? It is important to measure out the cost to value ratio because buying multiple single shafts can be more pricey than buying a set of thirteen or even seven. It all depends on what styles and qualities the brand offer. With that in mind, we wanted to share this criterion because we wanted individuals to become aware of the different offers that brands have, which brings us to one of the last criteria that we based this top ten list off of.
As one of the most important criteria, the brand is one that we wanted to share when it comes to quality golf shafts. There are only a few brands that run the gamut as being the best when it comes to the golf industry. Therefore, we also wanted to share new brands or unknown brands that individuals may find to be of value. Whether an individual opts in for Callaway or any other brand, all of these are designed to offer quality in many different ways.
Whether you are a novice or a professional, we hope that this list has helped our audience discover the best golf shafts. As another measure of help, we want to share the most frequently asked questions when it comes to golf shafts and what individuals can expect.
Types of Shafts
When determining the type of shaft you want for your golf club, there are five different flex shafts you can pick from. The flexibility of the shaft helps determine exactly how the face of the club head will strike the ball. If you have the wrong combination of material and flexibility, it will mean you will not hit the golf ball purely, which means you will not have the optimum amount of distance, accuracy or trajectory for your golf ball. Here is a list of the five different types of flexibility available for all golf clubs:
- Extra Stiff – This kind of flexibility is the least chosen type of flexibility, as it is only for those who are very strong within the upper body. Even if you think you can handle it, the recommendation is to always go with one flexibility level less than what you think you can handle. For the extra stiff shaft, you should only consider this kind of a shaft if you can drive the ball over 275 yards on a very consistent basis.
- Stiff – One step down from the Extra Stiff, this is the type of flexibility which if most commonly found among men on the golf course that have a decent amount of upper body strength. It is not completely stiff, and the flexibility is just enough to where the clubface is not too far behind your hands on your downswing. The typical drive with this kind of shaft is between 230-375 yards.
- Regular – This is the standard shaft in which most golf club sets come with, as well as individual drivers. Due to this, it is the most common shaft you will find on the golf course among all adults, and between men and women. It allows you to have some flexibility within your shot, where you can swing the club with the right amount of tempo to allow the clubface to perfectly hit the golf ball in a good rhythm. The average driving distance within this type of shaft is between 200-230 yards.
- Senior – The Senior shaft is meant for those who cannot swing the golf club very fast, even if it is a graphite shaft. There is a great amount of flexibility on this shaft, and if you swing the club too fast with this flexibility, your arms will not be fully perpendicular to the ball, when in fact your arms would be too far out in front. This would cause your shot to have a lower amount of trajectory, which will mean the ball could roll further, but depending upon the course, could mean the ball will not go nearly as far down the field. The average drive distance is less than 200 yards.
- Ladies – Although by the name you might think this is only for women, it is not. This kind of shaft is a mid-level shaft and is in between the regular and senior shaft. There is a lot of flexibility with the shaft to allow you to create some velocity while also giving you a little bit of a stiffness to hit the ball harder and further compared to a senior shaft. Overall, you would typically hit a drive between 215-245 yards with this shaft.
Determining the Best Golf Shafts For Your Shot
Finding the best golf shafts for your golf clubs can be a tedious task, as you need to take a few swings with each combination to find the right one for you. When you go in for testing, you should keep your mind open to the material, as well as the flexibility, so you can ensure you find the right combination, whatever that might be. There is no shame in having a shaft which is a ladies or a senior shaft if that shaft allows you to hit the ball better and purer.
So, how do you determine what kind of shaft and flexibility you should have? Here are some basic rules for you to consider.
When it comes to a graphite or steel shaft, the greater amount of muscle you have in your upper body, the more you should consider a steel shaft. This kind of shaft will not generate as much velocity, but you will be able to hit the ball harder, and more within the sweet spot of the clubface, which will project the ball further out.
If you want to have a golf club which will allow you to generate a faster club speed during your swing, then going with a graphite shaft is the better choice. It is easier to swing, especially if you do not have a lot of upper body strength, so you can generate more speed and power in your swing to help elevate the amount of distance you can put on each golf shot.
When it comes to the flexibility, no matter which shaft you choose, you will know if you have the wrong type of flexibility depending upon how you hit the ball. For example, you will know that you have too stiff of a shaft if you hit the golf ball and it goes in a line drive, rather than having a nice, smooth arc to the shot. Also, if the ball tends to go in the direction in which you are oriented with your hands (i.e. if you are left-handed, the ball will go more left, and vice versa). Also, your hands will be able to tell because there will be more of a stinging feeling in your hands, even if you hit the shot fairly pure.
You can tell if the shaft is too flexible during your shot if the loft of the shot is too high, and doesn’t meet the nice arc you would expect to see with any shot. In addition, your grip will feel as if it is a pure shot, even when you can tell that it is not. Lastly, the ball will go to the opposite direction of your hand orientation (i.e. the ball will go right when you are left-handed, and vice versa).
Even though it takes some time, finding the right cross of a material and flexibility which is best for you will lead to lower scores on the golf course, which is what your goal should be each time you step out on the golf course.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the grip installed?
As one of the most frequently asked questions, we can see why this is a commonly asked question. When it comes to the grip of the shaft, most brands will offer a quality grip to enhance the quality of the shaft. However, we have learned that many grips can be removed and detached to add even better grips that offer better golf traction. As one of the most frequently asked questions, one of the best options to ask each manufacturer directly or read the description of the product to figure out if it has a grip.
What is the weight of the shaft?
During our research process, we learned that this happens to be one of the most frequently asked questions. With that said, the weight of the shaft is determined by the length, the quality, and the material of the shaft. Wood shafts tend to be more lightweight, while shafts such as graphite can weigh as much as 52 grams. It all depends on many different factors. Most brands tend to be transparent about the weight of the product.
Is the shaft water-resistant?
As one of the top questions that are asked, many brands tend to develop water-resistant shafts with some type of exterior coating to ensure that the shaft can withstand the test of time. However, the most common shaft that can easily wear and tear is wood composite shafts. Individuals should be wary of wood shafts because they can rot if left unattended or not taken care of.
Will the shaft work with a putter?
As the last most frequently asked question on this list. Putter shafts tend to be a bit different than regular shafts. Individuals tend to ask this question often to know if the shaft they are interested in can work in tangent with a putter. However, this is all determined the by the end opening and length of the shaft. Therefore, if an individual is interested in a golf shaft, it is important to read what the intention of the shaft is.
Overall, there is a lot of evidence which points to the fact that most golfers tend to have the wrong combination of material and shaft flexibility among their golf clubs. Even if you change one or the other, there is no guarantee it will help you lower your score, as you need to find the right combination of the two. Because there are ten different combinations to choose from, it will take you some time to find the right one, but once you do, you will be set up for success. This is not a component which should be overlooked, especially if you have taken the time to find the right golf clubs. Every aspect of the golf club should be analyzed to help ensure you have the best chance to shoot a low score every time you step on the course.
We wish you good luck in your hunt for finding the best golf shafts, and we look forward to hearing how taking the time and finding the right combination has led to lower scores on the golf course for you.